David “Dave” Pettinato represents policyholders in first- and third-party property insurance claims and subsequent Unfair Claims Handling Practice litigation (Bad Faith). His practice areas include large property losses, business interruption, insurance coverage, and international insurance disputes. If the insurance dispute is unable to be resolved amicably without litigation, he is an experienced policyholder advocate in both state and federal courts. He is experienced in complex insurance coverage disputes and claims in litigation, beginning his insurance career over 25+ years ago as insurance defense counsel. Read more below…
Mr. Pettinato is an aggressive, thorough, persistent, and diligent attorney in his relentless pursuit of justice on behalf of his clients. He is licensed to practice in Florida, Georgia and Texas, which include, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Florida, Middle District of Florida, and Southern District of Florida; U.S. Supreme Court; and the U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia. He litigates in other states as well associating himself with local counsel. Mr. Pettinato is the former chair for the Insurance Section of The American Association of Justice (AAJ) and multiple past chairs and vice chairs of the Bad Faith Litigation Group (BFLG) for the AAJ since 2000 to 2012.
In 2010, he was the recipient of the Wiedemann & Waysocki Award, which honors attorneys for their commitment to their profession and support for improving the civil justice system. In 2010, he was selected by his peers as one of the Florida Legal Elite (Florida Trend Magazine). In 2023, he was selected by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in America, top 5.3% of all practicing lawyers in the U.S. for Insurance Law (The Best Lawyers in America®). Mr. Pettinato is also an “AV” rated attorney through Martindale-Hubbell®.
Mr. Pettinato regularly speaks before professional associations and groups such as the Windstorm Insurance Network, AAJ, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, the First Party Claims Conference, the National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, and Condominium Associations and Homeowners Associations, as well as other Public Insurance Adjusters / Insurance organizations. Additionally, Mr. Pettinato has made numerous media appearances to discuss first party insurance claims, Bad Faith and other related insurance issues.
Professional Memberships and Associations:
- The Florida Bar Association
- Florida Justice Association, EA.G.L.E.
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Trial Lawyers Division)
- Windstorm Insurance Network: Member, 2003-present
- Windstorm Insurance Network, Educational Committee, 2008-2009
- Windstorm Insurance Network: Wind Professional Designation Fellow Level, 2016
- National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (NAPIA)
- Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (FAPIA)
- Georgia Association of Public Adjusters (GAPIA)
- Rock Mountain Association of Public Adjusters (RMAPIA)
- Texas Association of Public Adjusters (TAPIA)
Area(s) of Practice
- First- and Third- Party Property Insurance Disputes
- J.D., Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
- B.A., Edinboro University
In the News
We’re always here when you need us.